[Exim] Bug in Exim's internal Quota mechanism

Author: Drew Skinner
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Bug in Exim's internal Quota mechanism
Hi all;

Running exim 3.15 here and I'm running up against a bit of a nasty
bug in exim's internal quota facilities. I've set up quotas for all
users on a server.

Users are being correctly quotad, but they are not being warned of the quota.

The relevant bit of config:

quota = 12M
quota_warn_threshold = 75%
quota_warn_message = "\
To: $local_part@$domain\n\
Subject: Your mailbox\n\n\
This message is automatically created \
by mail delivery software.\n\n\
The size of your mailbox has exceeded \
a warning threshold that is\n\
set by the system administrator.\n\n\
Your mailbox is now at (or above) 75% of the\n \
maximum allowable size of 15 MB.\n"

Now the end user is sometimes getting this warning message. It
appears to be delivered somewhat haphazardly - I believe it IS being
sent after a large file
is received, but not if the user receives many smaller emails.

Here is a user mailbox

-rw-rw----   1 dougk    mail     13059795 Nov 17 16:18 /m/dougk

When I check for the warning message I get the following:

nostromo # cat /m/dougk |grep "Subject: Your mailbox"
nostromo #

Obviously no message is there. This user has 343 emails in the account. If
I send a large file, to a mailbox that is over the 75% threshold that mailbox
will get the warning. I'm very concerned that there is no warning in
that mbox, and that exim had plenty of time/space to append it.

This is an important feature to me as the user must be warned before
being invisibly queued (to them it's a blackhole as they have no idea
what could be wrong). Doug had no idea why his email stopped working.

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour ?

I would like to request a feature such as:

quota_exceed_message

Which could be sent to the user when they are over limit, in fact it should
be the mandatory "last thing" that exim appends to a users mailbox until the
mailbox is under quota once again.

All the best,

Drew.