Re: [Exim] RFC822 Message-Id

Author: Chris Thompson
Subject: Re: [Exim] RFC822 Message-Id
Peter Radcliffe <pir@???> writes:

> Tom Samplonius <tom@???> probably said:
> [...]
> > On many systems, uname() outputs the fully qualified hostname. I know
> > that Solaris' config defaults to setting the hostname to the short name
> > only, but this caused problems so I changed it to be the fully qualified
> > hostname.
>
> I've found that, particularly on multihomed machines and those were
> the default domain for email is different from the FQDN, fully
> qualified hostnames can cause a lot of problems on a Solaris box.
> I'll never have a machine with a FQ host name again.

Well, this is of course a religious debate among SunOS/Solaris users,
so I can tell you that Tom will be singing with the angels while you
are destined for a far hotter place...

I expect we can agree that Exim has to cater to both the saved and the
damned, though!

Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.