Re: [Exim] RFC822 Message-Id

Author: Peter Radcliffe
Subject: Re: [Exim] RFC822 Message-Id
Tom Samplonius <tom@???> probably said:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Sebastian Stark wrote:
> > this is not present it uses uname(). uname(1) just outputs the
> > _host_name, in this case it will be "gosh". So, how does exim get
> > the domainname of the system? (If I don't set primary_hostname.)

As it says in the spec, it uses the standard resolver functions to
qualify it.

> On many systems, uname() outputs the fully qualified hostname. I know
> that Solaris' config defaults to setting the hostname to the short name
> only, but this caused problems so I changed it to be the fully qualified
> hostname.

I've found that, particularly on multihomed machines and those were
the default domain for email is different from the FQDN, fully
qualified hostnames can cause a lot of problems on a Solaris box.
I'll never have a machine with a FQ host name again.

Any program that is sane can work out the correct domain, as exim can,
or can at least be told the default domain, like mutt.

P.

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???