[Exim] Multiple MX records - same preference

Author: John Horne
To: Exim Users List
Subject: [Exim] Multiple MX records - same preference
Hello,

A simple question, but one to which I could find no definite answer. I
looked in the Exim manual, searched the latest snapshot changelog (etc), and
searched the mailing archives (do you know how many entries there are on
egoups for 'mx'?!).

Anyway the question is, given a domain with multiple MX records of the same
preference I gather from RFC974 (re 'Mail routing') that it is for the MTA
to decide which MX record to use. O'reilly's 'DNS and BIND' states that
Sendmail version 8 onwards will randomly choose the record to use. Does Exim
do the same? I very much *assume* it does, but, as said, couldn't find
confirmation anywhere. (Deja vu again - I'm *sure* this has been asked
before! :-) )

Philip - perhaps a sentance or two in the manual in the 'SMTP processing'
section?

Thanks,

John.

E-mail: jhorne@???