Re: [Exim] Multiple MX records - same preference

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multiple MX records - same preference
On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, John Horne wrote:

> Anyway the question is, given a domain with multiple MX records of the same
> preference I gather from RFC974 (re 'Mail routing') that it is for the MTA
> to decide which MX record to use. O'reilly's 'DNS and BIND' states that
> Sendmail version 8 onwards will randomly choose the record to use. Does Exim
> do the same?

Yes. Or rather, it randomly orders the hosts of equal preference. So it
randomly chooses the record to try first. It does not just choose one
record and ignore the other(s).

> Philip - perhaps a sentance or two in the manual in the 'SMTP processing'
> section?

Not really part of SMTP processing, since that can happen without MX
being involved. I'll add something to the lookuphost router
documentation, though. It should be said somewhere.