Re: [Exim] How unique are exim queue msg IDs?

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: The Flying Hamster
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How unique are exim queue msg IDs?
On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, The Flying Hamster wrote:

> abusing other peopleOne thought is to

> [...] use the exim msg ID as a unique key, which naturally brings up
> the question "is it unique"

The ID that exim adds will be unique if
    (a) You never set your machines clock back in time
    (b) You do not have two instances of exim running on the same host.
    (c) You aren't running on exim on multiple hosts which think that
        they have the same name.

Now that I think about it, I actually don't know how exim actually
enforces unique IDs. Since multiple users could call /path/to/exim -t at
the same time, and I don't know how these processes would know about each
other. So I am not fully confident about what I've said.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html