Re: [Exim] How unique are exim queue msg IDs?

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: The Flying Hamster, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How unique are exim queue msg IDs?
jeffrey+lists@??? said:
> Now that I think about it, I actually don't know how exim actually
> enforces unique IDs.

The message id includes the timestamp, the process id, an incrementing
"sequence in this process in this timestamp" and a node id.  This will
be unique on a queue directory as long as:-
  1. Your clock increases (ie does not jump around and reuse timestamps)
  2. You have only one exim machine working on a queue directory
     OR each machine's exim processes have a different node id

Details of this are given in the accept.c source file in extreme detail
:-)

    Nigel.

[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]