Re: [Exim] filehandles and such

Author: Dave C.
To: Dan Kappus
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] filehandles and such
If the message is identical for all customers (eg, doesnt need to be
customized per-recipient), I'd arrange to spit a BSMTP session as
follows to `exim -bS` (anything in [] is a comment and not part of the
session)

The main thing being dont send a seperate message to each recipient,
send a few messages to many recipients.

(if few=total/100, many=100)

HELO MYHOST
MAIL FROM:<lord@???>
RCPT TO:<user1@???>
RCPT TO:<user2@???>
[repeat up to say about 100 per batch]
DATA
From: The dark lord ... <lord@???>
Bcc:
[The empty Bcc is to make sure one doesnt get added with all 100
recipients]

Princess ... Rebel Base ... etc..

.
QUIT

I also just like batch SMTP (and loathe the -t interface). It gives me
more direct control (and seperate control) over both the envelope and
the headers of a message.

This might be a personal nitpick, but I will note that we send out a
newsletter every month to our customers (around 8000 addresses), where
each individual message DOES have to be customized (the email is
actually just the newsletter headlines, with links to the actual
content that include a coded version of the recipients email address -
this is so our marketing department can tell what our customers are
interested in) I use grouped together BSMTP sessions to send this, and
I've never gotten any errors from exim about file handles or memory or
anything other than the usual nondelivery bounces from cancelled
addresses, etc..