Re: [Exim] Multiple exim processes accept()ing connections?

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: michael
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multiple exim processes accept()ing connections?
On 30 Oct 2000 michael@??? wrote:

> did anybody ever try multiple exim processes that accept() connections
> from the same socket? It would reduce the latency on heavily loaded
> systems, but I have no clue if that would make any difference for mail
> systems.

I'm not sure exactly what that would mean, but I really don't think that
the listening daemon is a bottle neck in any situation.

> I suggest the following feature (for discussion, so far):
>
> There should be a delay time, after which a further queue runner will
> be started, if the last started queue runner has not yet exited during
> that time interval.

This should be an easy script to write.

> Somehow I think that mails that were just queued and not deferred
> should be given precedence,

But that already happens. If a message is not deferred exim tries to
deliver it immediately. It will only be sitting in the queue waiting for
a queue run (as oppossed to being in the queue, but being handled) if
something forces its deferrel.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg