Re: [Exim] Multiple exim processes accept()ing connections?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: michael
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multiple exim processes accept()ing connections?
On 30 Oct 2000 michael@??? wrote:

> did anybody ever try multiple exim processes that accept() connections
> from the same socket?

AFAIK, this is not possible. How would the operating system's TCP/IP
stack know which process to hand an incoming call to?

> Somehow I think that mails that were just
> queued and not deferred should be given precedence, but so far I can't
> decide how.

All this is added complication which is contrary to Exim's pretty simple
queuing philosophy. If you want an MTA with a "sophisticated" method of
managing queues, then it isn't Exim. (I don't personally believe it
would make a vast difference, having seen how such MTAs perform in the
past, but maybe I'm just an old cynic. Maybe somebody will write a good
one some day.)