Re: [Exim] queuerunner

Author: michael
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] queuerunner
> > I rather see exim fork of say 100 processes and process the queue with
> > all of them.
>
> There is nothing to stop you running a script that obeys "exim -q" 100
> times if you want Exim to do this. Or set queue_run_max=100 and have the
> daemon start queue runners every 30 seconds or whatever.

Using a script, you have to count queue runners for not starting too many.
Using exim, it is easy to control the number of queue runners, but in
your example it will take 3000 seconds until all 100 queue runners are
active, assuming that they run this long. Up to that point, mail will
stay unprocessed in the queue that could be delivered, if there would
be enough queue runners.

It would be great if I could start more than one queue runner at once from
exim, but I am not sure how many I would want to start at which point.
Perhaps keep starting queue runners with a small delay until the first
one returns with an exit code that states that it did not find any work?

I have to admit that I like the way qmail solves this. You simply
specify the remote concurrency, that is the number of simultaneous
remote deliveries. Experience tells pretty fast how much a machine can
perform without getting overloaded, you set the concurrency a little
below and that's it.

Michael