Re: [Exim] Retry rules ignored on failing recipient

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dean Brooks
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Retry rules ignored on failing recipient
On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Dean Brooks wrote:

> I've got an odd thing occuring on one of our remote-smtp fallback
> hosts. Basically, we have a remote site that is giving a 450 temporary
> error on a specific recipient (RCPT).
>
> This, of course, causes retry data to be added for delaying future
> deliveries. Or I would expect it to.

Yes, it should.

> Instead, the message gets
> a redeliver attempt about every 10 seconds.

You aren't starting queue runners every 10 seconds are you? If not, that
is particularly weird.

> It's been doing this
> for a week now and our logfiles are over 65 megabytes long of
> retrying a group of about 10 messages all to the same set
> of recipients.

Ah. Maybe it is cycling through this group of messages which are all
waiting for the same host. I think I can see how this might happen. I
will set up some tests and see if I can reproduce the problem, and if so
I will fix it. If not, I'll get back to you for more info.

Philip