Re: [Exim] POP3 Daemon

Author: Dave C.
To: Drew Skinner
CC: Corin Hartland-Swann, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] POP3 Daemon
On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Drew Skinner wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I thought I'd drop this in too. We were running Exim in conjunction
> with qpopper 2.53 at the beginning. This migrated to cucipop, but as
> an unsupported pop3 daemon, we were getting too many errors from it.
> So I went back to qpopper, now v3, but after watching the load
> average on the mail server climb from 1.7 to
> about 2.6 - decided that it wasn't acceptable. Qpopper was generating
> the additional load.
>
> I recently learned of a small, self contained pop daemon that handles virtual
> domains, can authenticate on a per domain basis and is totally compatible with
> Exim's mbox format.
>
> The solution to the load issues came by having exim remove and x-uidl headers
> from incoming mail, then generate it's own 25 char hash of an inbound messages'
> headers & writing that out with the message.
>
> The new pop daemon reads in all existing uidl statements and sends them to
> end users MUA - thus not breaking anything. My load average is down
> to 1.2 & I'm saving CPU cycles with every message :-)
>
> The popper is called teapop - it's compact and quite tidy. More features like
> cucipop's expire tags will be added to it shortly.
>
> If you want the uidl compatibility wait for the release of v 0.27

Actually, incoming messages should not have a X-UIDL header anyway -
they are supposed to only be used by a pop daemon so a client can avoid
downloading messages it has already copied, when it its 'leaving
messages on server'.

Often spammers add an X-UIDL header to their message to try and mess
with that scheme, possibly hoping you will get multiple copies of their
message (increaing the chances you will read it)