Re: [Exim] POP3 Daemon

Author: Drew Skinner
To: Corin Hartland-Swann
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] POP3 Daemon
Hi;

I thought I'd drop this in too. We were running Exim in conjunction
with qpopper 2.53 at the beginning. This migrated to cucipop, but as
an unsupported pop3 daemon, we were getting too many errors from it.
So I went back to qpopper, now v3, but after watching the load
average on the mail server climb from 1.7 to
about 2.6 - decided that it wasn't acceptable. Qpopper was generating
the additional load.

I recently learned of a small, self contained pop daemon that handles virtual
domains, can authenticate on a per domain basis and is totally compatible with
Exim's mbox format.

The solution to the load issues came by having exim remove and x-uidl headers
from incoming mail, then generate it's own 25 char hash of an inbound messages'
headers & writing that out with the message.

The new pop daemon reads in all existing uidl statements and sends them to
end users MUA - thus not breaking anything. My load average is down
to 1.2 & I'm saving CPU cycles with every message :-)

The popper is called teapop - it's compact and quite tidy. More features like
cucipop's expire tags will be added to it shortly.

If you want the uidl compatibility wait for the release of v 0.27

It can be found at http://www.toontown.org/teapop or email ibo@???

If anyone wants to give it a try - there's one Irix patch and I also
have the uidl patch - you can email me at <drew@???>

All the best,

Drew.