Re: [Exim] Failing behviour based on SMTP codes.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Theo E. Schlossnagle
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Failing behviour based on SMTP codes.
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Theo E. Schlossnagle wrote:

> Exim will freeze the messages in the queue. This takes an enormous amount of
> disk space and I would like the messages to immediately fail.
>
> I have my retry rules completely finish at 18 hours (instead of the standard 5
> days,) but it doesn't help enough.
>
> Is there a way to have exim immediately fail and produce an error (bounce)
> upon receiving a 550 response with a certain matched string from the other
> end? Having frozen messages moved to another queue is not what I am looking
> for as some of the failures are not *so* permanent.

I don't understand what is going on here. If Exim receives a 550 to a
RCPT TO command, it will already generate a bounce message. Or indeed a
MAIL FROM command.

Oh, wait. Are you saying you get a 550 upon connection? Or in response
to the EHLO command? In those cases, yes, Exim treats it as a problem
with the host, and will try the message again later. Maybe it shouldn't.
Maybe that should be configurable, but at present it isn't.

Maybe I should make that kind of error one of the ones that can be
recognized in retry rules, so you could chose exactly what is done.
Noted for the list.