Re: [Exim] Exim With Openmail...

Author: Phil Brutsche
To: Yann Golanski
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim With Openmail...

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 10:04:52AM -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > HP OpenMail is a "black box" mail storage facility ala Cyrus. It's one of
> > the few was of getting the groupware functionality of MS Exchange without
> > the braindamage of MS Exchange.
> >
> > It doesn't speak SMTP by itself, and relies on a separate MTA to receive
> > the message. In it's native environment (HP-UX), the incoming message is
> > received by sendmail, which then passes the message to OpenMail via a
> > separate program (called openmail, iirc)..
> >
> > Does that clear some things up?
>
> Somewhat...
>
> I guess you could use something like the procmail default transport in the
> default configuration and just replace `proicmail' by `openmail' and see
> what happens ;>

That's almost exactly how it works - OpenMail has what I would call a
weird address format (firstname.lastname/organization) that the MTA uses
to figure out what to send to OpenMail.

> If you link /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/bin/sendmail to exim, most things
> will actully find it and use whatever it is pointing to.

For outgoing messages, yes.

But you still need something like the "procmail_pipe" transport to get the
messages into the message store.

- --
Phil Brutsche                    pbrutsch@???

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D 7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc