Re: [Exim] Exim With Openmail...

Author: Phil Brutsche
To: Yann Golanski
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim With Openmail...

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 04:11:29PM +0200, Max Clements wrote:
> > I am trying to set up exim with openmail, but being a rookie at this sort of
> > thing - I have no clear idea of how to deal with the incoming mail. It
> > seems that Openmail has a program called xport.in that takes mail from the
> > standard input...
>
> What are you trying to do there? Is OpenMail an MTA (mail transport
> agent) or a MUA (mail user agent)? The doc on the net as given by
> google is a a bit lacking in clarity.

HP OpenMail is a "black box" mail storage facility ala Cyrus. It's one of
the few was of getting the groupware functionality of MS Exchange without
the braindamage of MS Exchange.

It doesn't speak SMTP by itself, and relies on a separate MTA to receive
the message. In it's native environment (HP-UX), the incoming message is
received by sendmail, which then passes the message to OpenMail via a
separate program (called openmail, iirc)..

Does that clear some things up?

- --
Phil Brutsche                    pbrutsch@???

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D 7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc