Re: [Exim] Washington mbx again

Author: Trevor Sky Garside
To: Paul Robinson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Washington mbx again
| > My take on it was 'how much memory will these files take up in swap if
| > I have 50k users all using native MUAs', or maybee he was reffering to
| > how much swap exim may use at these volumes.

| My point is that swap space usage is determined by the Operating System,

not
| the MTA or the type of mail spool format you use. If you use an OS that

like
| to swap out idle processes then an idle mail delivery process (!!?!?) will
| take up swap.

| In short, it's a redundant question. If you are using a mailbox format,
| you're appending to the file, not copying it around. If you're using

maildir
| format you're creating new files, not modifying existing ones. The amount

of
| memory in use should be pretty much equivalent (unless I'm missing

something
| - again). To me at least, maildir is suitable for when there is a high

volume
| of traffic and you're able to split the user's spools over many disks,
| thereby giving a performance boost. Oh, and mail pickup is a bit easier to
| code. If that isn't the case, there isn't that much point (that I can

see).

| Just out of curiosity, does anybody know of a POP3 daemon that has the
| functionality of the mysql-exim-qpopper patch, but uses a maildir-friendly
| pop3 daemon instead? Let me guess - this is another one I'll be writing
| myself from scratch then... I love spending my evenings with a pile of RFC
| print-outs, don't you? :-)

Paul:

I have coded a POP3 daemon that works exclusively with the mailspool Exim
delivery method (forgive me -- I'm not too familiar with the various spool
types and what name is what) and DBM hashes for usernames, domain-names, and
passwords. It's certainly not completely finished, but it is fully
functional. The reason I say it's not finished is that I basically made up
the method by which I turned it into a daemon because I could find no
information on that at all.

It's coded entirely in Perl, and runs (from what I can tell) quite quickly.

If you would like a copy of it, I can send it your way. Of course, I am
always positive on critiques -- especially security risks.

--Trevor

Trevor Sky Garside
trevor@???