Re: [Exim] Washington mbx again

Author: Paul Robinson
To: exim-users
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Washington mbx again
On Mon, 02 Oct 2000, exim-users@??? wrote:

> My take on it was 'how much memory will these files take up in swap if
> I have 50k users all using native MUAs', or maybee he was reffering to
> how much swap exim may use at these volumes.

My point is that swap space usage is determined by the Operating System, not
the MTA or the type of mail spool format you use. If you use an OS that like
to swap out idle processes then an idle mail delivery process (!!?!?) will
take up swap.

In short, it's a redundant question. If you are using a mailbox format,
you're appending to the file, not copying it around. If you're using maildir
format you're creating new files, not modifying existing ones. The amount of
memory in use should be pretty much equivalent (unless I'm missing something
- again). To me at least, maildir is suitable for when there is a high volume
of traffic and you're able to split the user's spools over many disks,
thereby giving a performance boost. Oh, and mail pickup is a bit easier to
code. If that isn't the case, there isn't that much point (that I can see).

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know of a POP3 daemon that has the
functionality of the mysql-exim-qpopper patch, but uses a maildir-friendly
pop3 daemon instead? Let me guess - this is another one I'll be writing
myself from scratch then... I love spending my evenings with a pile of RFC
print-outs, don't you? :-)

--
______________/ Technical Director @ Akitanet -- http://www.akita.co.uk/ |

| PO Box 604, Manchester, M60 3PR / Centerpoint, Deddington, Oxon, OX15 0SG|