[Exim] .forward file

Author: James Ainslie
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] .forward file
Can someone explain this ??

Hiya, as a new member of this list you must forgive me if this has
appeared before :-)

I have been have much pain with my .foward filters
Most of them would work, but for some reason some of them just wouldnt,
the syntax of all the rules was correct and the incoming mail had all the
correct headers.

my .forward file read as follows:
-------------------------------------
# Exim filter
#
if error_message then finish endif
#
logfile $home/.eximfilter.log
#

if $h_To: contains "Postmaster@???"
or $h_From: contains "MAILER-DAEMON@???"
then save $home/mail/feedme+postmaster
endif

finnish
--------------------------------------

What would happen is that the mail would come in and then not filter,
droping into my default folder. Since the rule above implies a bulk mail
account - this is beeg problem.

However if I bounced/redirected the mail to me the filter worked ????.

I managed to fix the problem by hashing out the line "if error_message
then finish endif"...

Why does this work ? to quote the docs :

"Unless there is a good reason for not doing so, it is recommended that
the above test be left in all filter files"
(Exim Filter Specification, Testing an installed filter file)

This seems like a good reason... but not good enough. *grin*

Thanks
James

James Ainslie              Phone:        +27 21 683-7280
iafrica.com             Fax:          +27 21 683-7299
Systems Administrator   Mail: jamesa@???