Re: [Exim] Keeping aliases in a DBM hash...

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Trevor Sky Garside
CC: Jeffrey Goldberg, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Keeping aliases in a DBM hash...
On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Trevor Sky Garside wrote:

> It's funny that you should mention that, because that is my current
> solution. I have the domain-add script automatically creating that
> postmaster account. But in the odd case (I don't see it happening, but you
> never know) where the domain doesn't want any mail accepted (even to
> postmaster) I'd like to know how to make it work.

(1) Create an entry in the alias file that is syntactically invalid as a
local part. Might be tricky to do this absolutely correctly, since
almost any character can be present in a local part if it is quoted. But
something like a single colon character is pretty unlikely.
Alternatively, do the DBM libraries allow a key consisting of the empty
string?

(2) Write a program to create your DBM file, add one key to it, then
remove that key. That should leave a valid DBM file that happens to
contain no entries.