Re: [Exim] Keeping aliases in a DBM hash...

Author: Trevor Sky Garside
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Jeffrey Goldberg, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Keeping aliases in a DBM hash...
> > It's funny that you should mention that, because that is my current
> > solution. I have the domain-add script automatically creating that
> > postmaster account. But in the odd case (I don't see it happening, but

you
> > never know) where the domain doesn't want any mail accepted (even to
> > postmaster) I'd like to know how to make it work.
>
> (1) Create an entry in the alias file that is syntactically invalid as a
> local part. Might be tricky to do this absolutely correctly, since
> almost any character can be present in a local part if it is quoted. But
> something like a single colon character is pretty unlikely.
> Alternatively, do the DBM libraries allow a key consisting of the empty
> string?

I had considered this option, since I am imposing a character reatriction on
email addresses anyhow (I'm not allowing things such as % and $).

> (2) Write a program to create your DBM file, add one key to it, then
> remove that key. That should leave a valid DBM file that happens to
> contain no entries.

I had already tried this; this is what causes Exim to freeze the messages.

I think i am going to go ahead with what the major suggestion is -- hijack
the postmaster account right-out. I'll just omit the postmaster entry from
any tools that allow changes to email aliases.

--Trevor