Re: [Exim] Adding Users [UPDATE]

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
A: wokness monster
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Adding Users [UPDATE]
[mailed and posted]

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, wokness monster wrote:

>    I just ran across the file called spec.txt, and I found it answerd
> alot of my questions.

For complicated systems (and running an MTA is a complicated system)
reading the documentation is required. Unfortunately, for something like
this, it is not enough. One needs to know how mail transport works in the
first place. I don't know of a good source for that, although maybe the
DRUMS document may accidently fulfill that role,

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-12.txt

It also requires that you know something about system administration.

> It said for me to be able to get mail I had to add this line to
> /etc/inetd.conf:
>
> smtp stream tcp nowait exim /usr/exim/bin/exim in.exim -bs

That is not the only way to do it. And it is not really what I would
recommend for normal use. Instead just have exim start with the -bd
option when the machine boots.

> I did, but for some reason, I still can not get mail. I open Eudora,
> send a e-mail to wokness@???, and then do this:
>
> ironhide# su wokness
> $ mail
> No mail for wokness
> $

What do the exim logs say?

Is Eudora acting as if the mail is sent, or do you see an error from that
end?

> You guys are awsome, I have been trying to get a mail server up for 4
> months (qmail and postfix) and have been unsuccessfull, but you guys
> already got me sending e-mail, thanks!

People here are remarkably helpful, and I hope that that continues. But
you need to make an effort to learn some system administration skills,
which the use of exim (or any other MTA) presuposes. I'm sure that there
are plenty of good Unix sysadm books, but I don't specifically know of
any.

I am not trying to be discouraging, it's just that much of what is in the
spec.txt doc and in other sources on running exim assume that you know
about SMTP, boot time start scripts, inetd.conf and the like.

I'm sure that people will continue to be helpful in response, but please
try to do your part.

And sorry for nagging, but can you please fix the date/timezone on your
computer (which thinks its in Pacific Dayling Time)? I sort my mail by
sent data, and your responses occasionally preceed what they are
responding to.

Cheers and I wish you well with this.

Maybe a FAQ/documentation suggestion: point out that running an MTA
requires certain knowledge as prerequisite and putting in references to
sources for that.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg