Re: [Exim] Exim deliveries in Maildir format, Courier IMAP a…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Exim deliveries in Maildir format, Courier IMAP and Filtering
At 21:37 10/09/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Michael J. Tubby wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > We have been using Exim with wu-imapd for several years and IMAP
> performance
> > has been poor with wu-imapd and large mailboxes, especially using
> Eudura with
> > connections to 8 or 9 mailboxes :-(
>
>Have you considered using mbx format (not mbox) instead of unix mail boxes
>with uw-imapd. It is what the UW people recommend, and the constantly
>point out that performance will be terrible with traditional mailboxes.
>
>I haven't personally used mbx except for very small tests, but I know that
>some sites at Oxford have.
>
>-j

Jeoff,

Actually our current installation uses Exim 3.14 delivering in a mixture of
mbox
and mbx format.

mbox format is (very) slow but deletes work from both Eudora and Outlook
clients

mbx format is faster but deletes don't work which means that my users'
mailboxes
grow for ever :-(

In addition if a user has several mailboxes open from Eudora there's a
multi-treading
issue in Eudora which is provoked each time a large mailbox (a few thousand
mails)
is closed leading to it going app-modal for up to 5 minutes - users think
its crashed
but its just stuck in a busy-wait.

It looks like a better bet to move away from wu-imapd altogether and switch to
Courier-IMAP which is faster, more efficient, smaller etc. and offers
TLS/SSL on port
993 but works only with Maildir format mailboxes.

Mike