Re: [Exim] aliasfile / ldap confusion

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chad Leigh, Pengar Ent Inc & Shire.Net LLC
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] aliasfile / ldap confusion
On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Chad Leigh, Pengar Ent Inc & Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> > Exim caches lookup results, so if you do the same lookup again, it won't
> > actually make another LDAP call. So, although it may look cumbersome in
> > the configuration, if you use an LDAP call that pulls out all the
> > results every time, and then select from them using ${extract... it will
> > be reasonably efficient.
>
> Thanks. Can you give an example of the above where you actually store the
> results of the LDAP call?

Not really, because I'm not an LDAP user. All that Exim does is to cache
the output of the last call, and reuse it if the next call is exactly
the same.

> I have implemented my stuff by doing further
> ${lookup } calls on the same ting but using ?attribute to get what I want.
> It works but I think it should be nicer to be able to get at the values
> from the query = "" call and use {extract <key> } type calls to get the
> individual attributes.

That would be more efficient, but it can look untidy. If you can make
sense of the -d9 debugging output, you can see when it is and isn't
using the cache.