Re: [Exim] aliasfile / ldap confusion

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chad Leigh, Pengar Enterprises, Inc. and Shire.Net LLC
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] aliasfile / ldap confusion
On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Chad Leigh, Pengar Enterprises, Inc. and Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> Can anyone shed light on using the ldap results set inside of exim? I
> don't want have to do another lookup of each individual "attribute" for a
> given ldap entry that has already been returned.

Exim caches lookup results, so if you do the same lookup again, it won't
actually make another LDAP call. So, although it may look cumbersome in
the configuration, if you use an LDAP call that pulls out all the
results every time, and then select from them using ${extract... it will
be reasonably efficient.

I've been sent some patches for the LDAP code that may improve matters
in this kind of area, but I have not looked at them yet. They also
relate to the next version of OpenLDAP (2.x), but I haven't been able to
get hold of a copy yet because I couldn't find a version of cvs that I
could install on my Solaris 8 box (source fails to compile). When I can
get hold of next OpenLDAP source, I'll look at all these LDAP issues.