Re: [Exim] A recommended Mailing list manager for Exim?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
A: exim-users
Cc: m-mahfouz
Asunto: Re: [Exim] A recommended Mailing list manager for Exim?
[mailed and posted]

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Mustapha Mahfouz wrote:

> I hope I could request information about a suitable mailing list manager
> for exim, I noted that exim.org uses the GNU mailman (which seems to be
> popular, Redhat switched from qmail to Postfix+mailman very recently).
>
> In a summary I would like to ask wether are there any special facts to
> which I have to pay attention to when configuring a Mailing list manager,
> for Exim, and whether there is any recommended for Exim.

Majordomo 1.* is very very outdated, and lacks many valuable
features. Although it is what I have used and am very comfortable with, I
would not recommend it at this point. It can be run securely (Marilyn
Davis on this list is our resident expert on securing exim/majordomo
against very hostile attacks), and there are some features of exim which
allow more security then would otherwise be available. See the section in
the exim FAQ on majordomo which points to an external document.

Majordomo 2 is used by some people, and is a complete redesign from the
ground up. It's design looks very very good and is being developed by
people with very long experience in mailing list management. It is in
"alpha" last time a checked (two months ago) and is largely undocumented.
Only us it if you are (a) already familiar with how mailing list managers
work, (b) like your documentation in perl. I use majordomo because I know
it very well. But I can't really recommend it.

There is a mailing list for list managers called

list-managers@???

That list is a majordomo based list so if you want to subscribe send mail

majordomo@???

with the BODY of your messages saying

subscribe list-managers

You might ask there. There will be a majordomo bias on that list, just
because for historical reasons there are a lot of majordomo users on that
list. But all are painfully aware of majordomo's shortcomings.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html