Re: [Exim] Broken pipe SMTP external delivery

Author: Nigel Pegram
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Broken pipe SMTP external delivery

> [There is some problem with your user agent. You are sending me and the
> mailing list separate copies *without the full recipients list in the
> headers*. Thus, if I reply to the personal copy, it doesn't go to the
> list as well. I've just noticed this. I don't think the list saw my
> previous response.]

It always help to hit reply all ... (sigh)

>> When I asked, I originally had in mind something like an interactive
>> command-line session where one could send a line, get a response, and so on.
>> Is this possible? If so, what would a basic set of commands be for, say, a
>> one-line body test message?
>
> You can use telnet to experiment with SMTP. See examples in RFC 821.

Have done this over the weekend. I can successfully send and receive
messages using telnet and typing in SMTP commands to the same server and
address.

> The failure appears to be *after* the entire message has been sent. I
> doubt whether an interactive telnet session will show you anything new,
> which is why I suggested you'd have to look at the stuff on the wire. In
> Solaris there's a command called snoop that does this, but I don't know
> the equivalent on other systems.

I'm about to hunt around for something, I'm on a Debian Linux system.

I did a debug level 11 trace and it showed an error message, but I don't
know what (if anything) it means. See below

direct command:
argv[0] = /root/PatchSenderAddress
direct command after expansion:
argv[0] = /root/PatchSenderAddress
SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<npegram@???> SIZE=933

SMTP<< 250 Sender <npegram@???> and extensions (SIZE=933) Ok
SMTP>> RCPT TO:<npegram@???>

SMTP<< 250 Recipient <npegram@???> Ok
SMTP>> DATA

SMTP<< 354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
SMTP>> writing message and terminating "."

process 1271 running as transport filter
process 1272 writing to transport filter
copying from the filter
writing data block size=3 timeout=300
Waiting for filter process
waiting for writing process
writing data block size=409 timeout=300
end of filtering transport writing: yield=0
errno=32 more_errno=65
ok=0 send_quit=0 send_rset=1 continue_more=0 yield=2 first_address=0
set_process_info: 1270 3.12 delivering 13QU6F-0000Tw-00: just tried
mail.ozemail.com.au [203.2.192.76] for npegram@???: result DEFER
LOG: 0 MAIN

> Mind you, you might not learn anything. You might still see "message is
> sent, remote host drops connection". That doesn't tell you anything new.
> Have you tried asking the postmaster at your ISP if their logs show any
> reason why this is happening?

No. I guess this is the next step if the above tells us nothing.

Thanks,
Nigel.