FW: [Exim] Broken pipe SMTP external delivery

Author: Don Smith
To: exim-users
Subject: FW: [Exim] Broken pipe SMTP external delivery
> From: Philip Hazel <ph10@???>
> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:00:30 +0100 (BST)
> To: Don Smith <editor.ac@???>
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Broken pipe SMTP external delivery
>
> Ultimately, you can use one of the tools to look at the packets on the
> wire. There seems to be such a tool for most operating systems, but I
> can never remember the names of them, I'm afraid. That way, you will see
> *exactly* what is in the packets Exim sends, and exactly what the

I'm a relative novice at this level of detail, can someone provide some
user-friendly pointers and/or instructions?

When I asked, I originally had in mind something like an interactive
command-line session where one could send a line, get a response, and so on.
Is this possible? If so, what would a basic set of commands be for, say, a
one-line body test message?

> Have you tried a different message? (Different sender, different
> recipient?) Some servers just drop the connection if they don't like
> what's in a message, instead of sending a rejection.

Yes, all messages fail when being sent to my ISP using exim. Is there a way
to test SMTP with another external site/server? I assume that since local
mail is being processed, the basic exim config is fine.

The puzzling thing is that the header is received and passed on by the
remote host, so the connection is established OK (refer back to the debug
output from my first post), it just seems to fail with the sending of the
body of the message.

Nigel.