Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Ross Boylan
Para: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?
I naturally vote for a reader like myself :). Namely, someone who is not
familiar with MTAs and needs orienting material. As others have pointed
out, the spec is already there for those who need to go in depth. What I
felt some need for was a general orientation to how the whole thing
worked--really an expansion of the early chapter in the spec on how mail is
processed. The chapter actually seemed a very good guide after I got to
know things a bit, but it was that first part that was an obstacle.

I am not a mail administrator (except for my personal systems), and don't
wish to become one. But I would like to be able to get my mail to work,
and am also just curious how things work. This probably makes me
atypical--more amateurish--than most people on this list, and certainly
puts me outside the original target audience and functioning for exim. But
probably there are a fair number of users like me.

Such a book might be quite difficult for you to write; once one is an
expert, it is hard to approach things with a novice's eye.

You might consider what your goals are:
* Filling in a documentation gap (this is what I'm describing)
* Reducing the burden on yourself
* Selling lots of books (-> go for the numerous amateurs)
* Promoting the use of exim (-> target serious sys admins, probably)
* Enabling others to work on the code.

Personally, I prefer introductory discussions of concepts to provide an
orientation, but I usually hate tutorials. I know they are popular, but
they usually have such low density of information that they annoy
me. Judiciously chosen examples, however, can be good.

You might also consider a kind of "the making of exim" book in which you
describe in more detail the process that led you to write it: the existing
solutions, the inadequacies you saw in them, the way you improved on
existing practice, the lessons you learned, how the thing evolved. The
book would be organized as a narrative/history/memoir. This might be more
fun to write and to read, and could end up serving several of the previous
goals pretty well.