著者: Jeremy C. Reed
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?
On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Many of you know that I'm trying to write a book about Exim. I should
> have asked this earlier: What kind of Exim book would you like to have?

For the beginner, a few chapters:

Explain the basics of how mail works with examples of using telnet to
directly use SMTP commands.

Explain terminology with examples of usage and relationships: clients,
MUA, MTA, UUCP, POP3, IMAP, mbox, mailboxes, attachment encodings, etc.

Exim debugging and troubleshooting: show the various options and explain
with real examples.

Have a few common situations and explain step-by-step the configuration
settings: 1) null client (no daemon running and sends all mail to a mail
hub); 2) generic/standard SMTP server; 3) no local deliver/mail relay
only.

Then the majority of the book should be for the advanced user, explaining
more situations and all Exim commands/directives.

> I suppose another way of putting the question is: What kind of reader
> should the book be aimed at?

You should be able to target the beginner and advanced users in one book.

(On a side note: do you need any help with writing, editing,
proof-reading? Is your publisher providing all the assistance you need? I
can put my journalism degree to use :) )

I look forward to reading your book,

  Jeremy C. Reed
     BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
     http://bsd.reedmedia.net/