Re: [Exim] Question about exims security vs qmail?

Autor: Dirk Koopman
A: Vadim Vygonets, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Question about exims security vs qmail?
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> Quoth Paul Robinson on Fri, Jul 07, 2000:
> > Think of his stance and bias as a writer. He is trying to promote his views
> > that qmail is the bees knees when it comes to MTA technology, and he is trying
> > to find faults with those other MTAs around him. He can't really talk about
> > performance, functionality or reliability because it at least matches if not
> > beats qmail in all these areas.
>
> I'm not sure Exim beats qmail a lot in performance. As far as I
> know, Exim's performance does not differ greatly from qmail's,
> unless you work for Planet.

This is an old and hoary one. Just for the record, there was a mailing list
run for a while for msexchange.org (before it moved to the US) that had a
machine dedicated to it at BT in Telehouse which exploded more mail than the
rest of BT Net put together (if I recall correctly twice as much as the rest
of BT Net put together) [we are talking Gbytes per day here].

That originally used qmail as an exploder until it started to fall over with
the volume (and yes, there was much close attention paid to it by the owner
and DJB). Eventually exim was tried, found to use far less CPU and bandwidth
and it just worked - out of the box (this was 2.xx).

Another advantage of exim is that the authors will listen, discuss and act on
reasonable suggestions - this is pearl beyond price esp. compared with
certain other authors of MTAs.

Dirk
--
Dirk-Jan Koopman, Tobit Computer Co Ltd
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will find