Re: [Exim] Understanding directors + deleting duplicate mess…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dan Lowe
CC: Ross Boylan, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Understanding directors + deleting duplicate messages
On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Dan Lowe wrote:

> > Procmail can't send "results" back to Exim - only a return code - or do
> > you mean it wants to resubmit a message? That's getting hairy.
>
> How can it return a result code? I posted to this list once upon a time
> wishing to translate my above-shown procmail recipe to an Exim filter and
> you replied to my post saying it wasn't possible because you couldn't
> gather a result code back from a pipe.

My statement was correct, but not complete, I'm afraid. You can't gather a
result code back from a pipe *in a filter*. Procmail can return a return
code to the transport that is running it, however. For example, if it
returns 75, this is treated as "temporary error, try later" (unless
you've changed the defaults).