Re: [Exim] Understanding directors + deleting duplicate mess…

Author: Dan Lowe
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Ross Boylan, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Understanding directors + deleting duplicate messages
Previously, Philip Hazel said:

> Well, I personally would find it hard to define exactly what a duplicate
> message is. For example, I often get "duplicates" via the mailing list,
> but the version that comes from the list has a bit stuck on the end -
> sure, I could craft hand code for one particular list, but in general...

I use the popular recipe that alot of people have for Procmail:

:0 Wh: $MAILDIR/.msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 $MAILDIR/.msgid.cache

Of course, this makes the assumption that you only want one copy of a
message with a given Message-ID: header. So if for some reason you are
getting multiple messages with the same Message-ID: header which are
different messages... well, that would be a pathological case. I've been
using this recipe for at least a couple of years and I've yet to have any
problems with it. It saves me a lot of hassle because I get a lot of mail
(notably work mail) which is cross-posted to 3-4 internal lists, and I am
very often a subscriber of all of them. So I can get 4 copies of the
message, or one. I choose one.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know the original poster doesn't want to use Procmail.
My post is simply intended to show that you can use Message-ID: as a "key"
and (in my experience) that won't cause any problems.

If I had to do it per-user, I'd give each user a separate .procmailrc and
then that be that. YMMV using something else like Perl.

> Procmail can't send "results" back to Exim - only a return code - or do
> you mean it wants to resubmit a message? That's getting hairy.

How can it return a result code? I posted to this list once upon a time
wishing to translate my above-shown procmail recipe to an Exim filter and
you replied to my post saying it wasn't possible because you couldn't
gather a result code back from a pipe.

I'd love to get that working, because I can do everything else I want in an
Exim filter - I just can't deal with my mail without duplicate weeding...

--
WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe you are invisible.