Re: OT: [Exim] Adding a disclaimer to out going

Author: Dan Lowe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: OT: [Exim] Adding a disclaimer to out going
Previously, Vadim Vygonets said:

> Oh, right. I should read the twenty badly formatted lines
> stating the obvious in lawyer English. Jeffrey Goldberg had a
> fine example of this stuff. They would probably soon write on
> tea mugs something like "This is a tea mug, don't use it as a
> hat" soon. Oh waitaminit, they already do similar things in the
> States.

My wife was just telling me a story yesterday of something that happened to
a pharmacist she works with, when he owned a small local chain of
drugstores in New Jersey.

A woman had come in to the store, and picked up some nail polish to look
at. Before buying, she wanted to see the color (or something), and
decided she was going to open it. For whatever reason, it proved
difficult to open, so she gripped the bottle and cap very tightly and
twisted with great effort to try to open it. She ended up squeezing so
hard that the glass bottle shattered in her fist, cutting her. So she did
what any patriotic American would do. She sued the store.

She also sued the company that manufactures the nail polish. And the
company that manufactures the bottles. She even found out what trucking
line had transported the particular shipment of nail polish from the
factory to the store she had the indicent in, and she sued the truck
company as well. And she won, against all four of them.

Needless to say, that and a few other similarly ridiculous incidents caused
this guy to sell off his stores and he now works as an employee of a larger
chain of stores as a pharmacist, but is no longer liable for stupid things
like that personally.

It's not just lawsuits, either - she (my wife) also sat on a jury last year
where the defendant was being tried for assaulting a police officer. He
had a previous history of several offences assaulting police officers.
Plead guilty, get six months in jail. Six months, for a repeat offence of
assaulting police... unbelievable.

> In case you Postmaster guys don't know, e-mail tends to cross
> borders, sometimes even in the case when the sender and the
> recipient are in the same country

We have another problem internal to the US, which may or may not be
relevant in your own home countries - but each state, as well as each
county and each city also has independent laws, which can often clash. An
email going from one state to another can often have an unclear meaning as
far as whose laws apply, etc...

The US courts are not, IMO, clued in on things like this yet. A lot of
really silly court cases have been around in recent years where some web
site hosted in California has been taken to court and judged based on the
laws and local standards of rural Arkansas... the standards are radically
different between them, but there's plenty of cases that have been tried
and (IMHO) been a real embarassment to the legal system due to complete
misunderstanding of all things Internet.

--
WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may make you think you have mystical Kung Fu
powers.