Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list

Author: Marilyn Davis
To: Dave C.
CC: exim-users, under-zo
Subject: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Dave C. wrote:

> This may not have even been intentional..

I doubt if it was -- this time. I didn't even write to the subscriber. I
hate to involve us in too much technical stuff. But I'm disturbed that we
can be brought down so easily.

> If I were you, I would reconfigure majordomo to not put the
> "comment" parts of addresses in the list, just the functional address.

There's a good idea. I hate to lose that quoted info about each of
our members but maybe that's what we'll have to do.

I'll wait for any other suggestions first.

> Eg, instead of:
>
> "Someone" <Someone@???>
> "Someone else" <Someone@???>
> "John Q. Person" <JohnQ@???>
>
> Use this:
>
> <Someone@???>
> Someone@???
> <JohnQ@???>
>
> This way will work with or without the <> characters around the
> addresses..
>
> This should fixup the existing file to follow that convention (and
> throw away any addresses that dont currently have <> marks,
> unfortnately) (I havent tested it though):
>
> # cat listfile | tr " " "\n" | grep "^<.*@.*>$" > newlist

Thank you! I'll keep it handy in case we go this route.

Thanks again. You are *very* helpful.

Marilyn Davis, Ph.D.
eVote - online polling software for email lists
http://www.deliberate.com
marilyn@???
+1 650 965-7121  (USA)