Re: [Exim] does exim not follow the RFC 1652 ?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Phil Pennock
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] does exim not follow the RFC 1652 ?
On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Phil Pennock wrote:

> By my understanding of the documentation,
> Off => RFC compatible
> On => Broken

Correct.

> So whilst Exim might receive fine, and handle fine, it won't forward on
> to non-8-bit-clean systems in compliance with the RFC.

Correct. I happen to be one of the renegades (I am not alone) who
believes that MTAs should just accept and forward messages in an
entirely 8-bit clean manner. Heck, TCP/IP has *always* been an 8-bit
transport, and all this messing with 7-bit characters as if we were
still in the 1970s does seem to cause more trouble than it fixes. Exim
is 8-bit clean, regardless of how you set the option.

All the option does is to make Exim add 8BITMIME to the options it
advertises, and to recognize the syntax. That's it. The handling of the
message is unchanged.