Re: [Exim] does exim not follow the RFC 1652 ?

Author: Guillaume Morin
To: Dave C.
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] does exim not follow the RFC 1652 ?
Dans un message du 07 jun à 20:31, Dave C. écrivait :

> >Indeed, I've seen
> > that someone who sends a EHLO command to Exim will not get a 250
> > 8bitmime response as it is required by the RFC 1652. I think that is the
>
> This response is not actually _required_ by the RFC, it is simply
> provided as an option for an MTA which uses to advertise that
> capability.

Are you sure of that ? In that RFC, I quote : "
If a server SMTP does not support the 8-bit MIME transport extension
(either by not responding with code 250 to the EHLO command, or by not
including the EHLO keyword value 8BITMIME in its response), then the
client must not, under any circumstances, attempt to transfer a content
which contains characters outside the US-ASCII octet range"

So my understanding of that is that you have to send a 250 response with
8bitmime to show your 8-bit full support.

Am I wrong ? (it could me a misunderstanding as far as english is not my
motherlanguage)

> The exim config file gives the administrator of a system running exim
> the capability to decide wether they wish exim to offer that feature or
> not. Some sites may wish to not permit this feature.
>
> That is what the 'accept_8bitmime' option is for (And when it is
> set, exim does in fact include the '8BITMIME' response to an ehlo
> command.)

I know that. But I cannot send mail to each administrator of the domains
that I wish to send messages to :)

Thank for your help.

Regards,

--
Guillaume Morin <gemorin@???>

Last night I saw the face of god, but waking I'd forgotten who she was (Addict)