Re: [Exim] does exim not follow the RFC 1652 ?

Author: Dave C.
To: Guillaume Morin
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] does exim not follow the RFC 1652 ?
On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Guillaume Morin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     I have checked the website and the archives of the list and I could
> not find an answer.

>     Since many monthes, I had problems sending mail
> using my ISP to some domains. It seems that most of them uses Exim. The
> problem is that I cannot send 8bitmime messages to these domains. I
> always received a mailer-daemon message.

>     Recently, I've configured my
> own mail service with Exim. And I've seen that adding the
> accept_8bitmime option makes my ISP's smtp happier. Indeed, I've seen
> that someone who sends a EHLO command to Exim will not get a 250
> 8bitmime response as it is required by the RFC 1652. I think that is the

This response is not actually _required_ by the RFC, it is simply
provided as an option for an MTA which uses to advertise that
capability.

The exim config file gives the administrator of a system running exim
the capability to decide wether they wish exim to offer that feature or
not. Some sites may wish to not permit this feature.

That is what the 'accept_8bitmime' option is for (And when it is
set, exim does in fact include the '8BITMIME' response to an ehlo
command.)

I include an example below.