RE: [Exim] SMTP message termination

Author: John Hall
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] SMTP message termination
On 25 May 2000 10:40 Philip Hazel wrote

> > I'm running exim 3.13 under Redhat 6.1. I've just set exim up using
> > the eximconfig script to forward all non-local messages to my ISP's
> > smarthost. However, when exim connects to the ISP's smtp server it
> > hangs and eventually times out. Running pcapture reveals that exim
> > is terminating the message with .. on a single line rather than just
> > a single '.'.

> Well, it isn't doing this in general, because 3.13 has been out for
> ages and nobody else has complained!

Yeah, I assumed it was something I've done wrong. Maybe as an indirect
consequence of running on Redhat?

> > Am I doing something obviously wrong to cause this? Performing
> > exactly the same steps manually except with a single . works fine
> > and the message is relayed on.

> Is this just one particular message, or all of them? I would take a
> look at the spool file to see if there are some funny characters, e.g.
> binary zeros in there. They have been known to screw up servers.

It's every message. I read in the archives of null characters causing
problems, so I've tried it with Pine (v4.1) and manually via telnet.
Might it be the interaction of another program seeing a period on a line
on it's own and inserting another in the interests of transparency?

john