Re: [Exim] SMTP message termination

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Hall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP message termination
On Wed, 24 May 2000, John Hall wrote:

> I'm running exim 3.13 under Redhat 6.1. I've just set exim up using the
> eximconfig script to forward all non-local messages to my ISP's smarthost.
> However, when exim connects to the ISP's smtp server it hangs and eventually
> times out.
> Running pcapture reveals that exim is terminating the message with .. on a
> single line rather than just a single '.'.

Well, it isn't doing this in general, because 3.13 has been out for ages
and nobody else has complained!

> Am I doing something obviously wrong to cause this? Performing exactly the
> same steps manually except with a single . works fine and the message is
> relayed on.

Is this just one particular message, or all of them? I would take a look
at the spool file to see if there are some funny characters, e.g. binary
zeros in there. They have been known to screw up servers.