[Exim] vacation

Author: Dan Kappus
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] vacation
One of our users is going away for a while, and wants an auto-response.

I looked in the FAQ and in the basic documentation, and tried
to define a director and a transport for vacation.

In directors, I did

vacation:
driver = localuser
require_files = .vacation.msg
transport = vacation_transport
unseen

and then in transports

vacation_transport:
driver = pipe
command = "/usr/bin/vacation \"$local_part\""

This is pretty much ripped off with full-on enthusiasm from the
exim faq. Given how cool the docs are, and how amazing their authors
are, I assumed it would work, but instead I experienced the following
behavior when I sent an email to any user what so ever:

--No delivery of the message took place, but no bounce message was created
--The following error appeared twice for every attempt in the main logfile:
2000-05-24 19:09:12 12un5T-00005v-00 user ".vacation.msg" for file existence test not found

I then changed require_files = .vacation.msg to ${local_part}/.vacation.msg
and it generated an error
"file name for existence test is not fully qualified"

What am I missing to make this work?

I interpret the following from these errors:

a) I need to provide a full path to the files I'm requiring
b) Exim won't deliver if it can't find the files it's looking for?

Someone clue me in, please, because I'm ignorant.

--
Dan Kappus, System Administrator
SquareTrade, Inc. www.squaretrade.com