[Exim] Problem with -Meb environment being destroyed

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Exim Users
Subject: [Exim] Problem with -Meb environment being destroyed
I have some mail which I sent which is stuck in the queue - a certain
mail machine seems to be down. I know another address for the
recipient, so I decided to try out the rewriting stuff I saw in the
docs.

admin_user$ exim -Meb <a-message-id>
vi: unknown: unknown terminal type
Message <a-message-id> not modified: editing failed

Exim 3.14 on OpenBSD 2.5. No mention which I could find in the FAQ. I
thought at first that it was because TERM==screen, but vt100 caused the
same. It's not even using the /etc/ttys entry, because that states
'network'. I tried using a different editor, but still the same. And
still saying vi.

So I decided to try out my ed(1) - not used it interactively in a while.
Nope, still tries to use vi. Which directly contradicts the documented
behaviour of using VISUAL/EDITOR/vi.

Looking at the source, I see that the environment is explicitly
destroyed in exim.c, with a comment starting:
/* Destroy the environment. Exim makes no use of any of it

*coughs* Does the documentation need updating, or do VISUAL and EDITOR
need rescueing(sp?)?
--
HTML email - just say no --> Phil Pennock
"We've got a patent on the conquering of a country through the use of force.