Re: [Exim] Configuring Exim to Work with SuSE 6.4

Author: Yann Golanski
To: Richard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Configuring Exim to Work with SuSE 6.4
On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 03:11:00PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> However, I can't make head or tail of the Exim config file.

Okay, here it is in simple terms in LaTeX source code -- which is
straight out of a training course I did on exim and was inspired by
Phil's workshop on exim.

\newpage
\subsection{Exim and Configuration File(s)}
\begin{itemize}
  \item Everything exim does is defined in /etc/exim/config. This can be
        set up at compile time, and by default is /usr/exim/configure.
  \item Exim can (and does) user file serach and database searches
        during its run. Options are availble at www.exim.org.
  \item The config file has seven sections: Marcos, Main, Transports,
        Directors, Routers, Retry, Rewrite and Auth.
  \item Marcos: Just normal macros. All must be in CAPS.
  \item Main: This is fine tuning on the genral performance.
  \item Transports: How mail is delivered - handles local domains.
  \item Directors: Where a mail should go - handles remote domains and
        very simple mailing list. A better way to do mailing lists is to
        use majordomo \emph{http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/} and
        \emph{http://www.netmaster.ca/exim/majordomo.html}.
  \item Routers: Where a mail is routed to.
  \item Retry: When to give up and warn the sender about errors.
  \item Rewrite: Header rewriting.
  \item Auth: Used for SMTP authorisation -- not essential.
  \item For more info, see www.exim.org.
\end{itemize}

Other than that, please RTFM.

> Sendmail config is much more complicated and I can do that.

Oh yes... that's a nightmare.

> > PS: I wonder if that was helpfull enough? Maybe we should start working
> > on a perl gtk GUI for the install and the configure file?
>
> Yes, I was thinking about that myself :-) I've just started to read a
> book called "GTK+/GNOME Programming" from Wrox press which is
> brilliant. See http://www.wrox.co.uk

Don't. It will not be usefull at all. Exim has a million and one
features that can be used to fine tune *your* system. No one else can
know what your system does -- trust me, I have seen some pretty weird
config files within Planet.

The BEST way to learn is to install it and play with it for a while.
There are a lot of exim options to test the code. As well, make sure you
read the panic.log and main.log generated by exim, as they will all
contains many usefull information. Set the log level to maximum (9) and
you should have no worries while testing.

--
Dr Yann Golanski                            Internet Systems Developer
PGP: www.kierun.org/pgp/key                 Mailmaster for the Planet Online