著者: Nigel Metheringham
To: Jason Gunthorpe, Jason Gunthorpe, exim-users
題目: Re: [Exim] Re: Exim features

ph10@??? said:
> This would require extensive revision of the logic of the code in the
> daemon, and I'm not sure you actually gain much, do you? By giving a
> 4xx error you get the remote host to back off for a bit, which takes
> load off your system.

I guess (not knowing tcpserver very well), that this is restricting the
total number of connections to a port [of course you can almost
certainly run exim under tcpserver as an altermative].

Exim can both restrict the total number of connections, *and* the
number of connections from a single ip (which is a better qmail abuse
preventer :-) ).

I am not sure if you can see the connecting IP address prior to
accepting the connection (ie I cannot think of a portable way) - and if
you can't then this behaviour can't be emulated at that level.

Personally I think I prefer the mailer to accept the connection and say
it can't deal with it now rather than hanging at the connect stage - it
gives the sender a chance to work out his retry strategy.

With regard to the other qmail stuff, it might be easiest to just write
a qmail director in C and have that as an option for qmail->exim
transition.

    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]