[Exim] exim on Slack7: gid, uid

Author: faust93
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim on Slack7: gid, uid
I have compiled exim 3.13 on Slackware 7 and it works fine as long as I do
not set the uid or gid in the Makefile. This means that it is running as
root, which is recommended against.

If I set the user and group to 'mail' in the configuration file, I get
permission problems with the log files. I fixed this by changing ownership of
those files to 'mail'.

There is still a permissions problem, though, with the messages themselves
in /var/spool/exim/(one of the directories). (Alas, I am not in front of my
Slack7 computer right now.)

Can anyone give me pointers on getting exim to run properly when user and
group are set in the configuration file or uid and gid are set in the
Makefile?

thanks in advance
Stephen

--