Re: [Exim] exim on Slack7: gid, uid

Author: Jonathan Hunter
To: faust93
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim on Slack7: gid, uid
> I have compiled exim 3.13 on Slackware 7 and it works fine as long as I do
> not set the uid or gid in the Makefile. This means that it is running as
> root, which is recommended against.
>
> If I set the user and group to 'mail' in the configuration file, I get
> permission problems with the log files. I fixed this by changing ownership

of
> those files to 'mail'.
>
> There is still a permissions problem, though, with the messages themselves
> in /var/spool/exim/(one of the directories). (Alas, I am not in front of

my
> Slack7 computer right now.)
>
> Can anyone give me pointers on getting exim to run properly when user and
> group are set in the configuration file or uid and gid are set in the
> Makefile?

I've been running exim on my Slack7 machines as exim.exim for a while now
and it works fine. Ensure that the exim user/group can successfully change
into the directory your log files are kept in (this caught me out at first
:-)), and of course your log files do need to be owned by exim.

My /var/spool/exim directory looks like this:

drwxr-x---   6 exim     exim         4096 Apr 26 22:29 ./
drwxr-xr-x  15 root     root         4096 Apr 26 21:06 ../
drwxr-x---   2 exim     exim         4096 Apr 26 22:29 db/
drwxr-x---   2 exim     exim         4096 May  3 12:05 input/
drwxr-x---   2 exim     exim         4096 Apr 26 21:57 log/
drwxr-x---   2 exim     exim         4096 May  3 12:05 msglog/

and exim seems to be operating fine on this (recently-installed) host.

If you need any more help get in touch.

Regards,

Jonathan