Re: [Exim] Frozen messages - answers and questions

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marilyn Davis
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Frozen messages - answers and questions
On Wed, 3 May 2000, Marilyn Davis wrote:

> However, I have two classes of frozen messages left and I'm wondering
> if I can find a better way to deal with them.
>
> The first is that a majordomo list owner's address stopped working and
> mail that should go to him, i.e., his list's error messages, became
> frozen instead. I wish it would be sent to majordomo-owner
> automatically.

I don't think that can be done automatically, I'm afraid.

> The other is a result of junk mail coming into my online petition
> address. I simply can't figure out what is happening:

I think I can. :-)

> the -Mvh gives:
>
> > 12m4dB-0008AF-00-H
> > exim 402 400
> > <>

Apparent bounce message. There is no envelope sender (hence <>).

> > invest600@???

addressed to that address.

> > A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
> > recipients. The following address(es) failed:
> >
> >   evote@???:
> >     generated |/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper fence eVote_script2 resend -l petitionj -h deliberate.com petitionj-outgoing

> > The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:
> >
> > ------ |/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper fence eVote_script2 resend -l petitionj -h deliberate.com petitionj-outgoing ------
> >
> > exim: neither action flags nor mail addresses given

What I think is happening is that your wrapper script is attempting to
send a message to the sender of the incoming message, with the
equivalent of a command line such as

exim $sender_address

but because there is no sender address, the command that is executed is
just

exim

That is why it says "neither action flags nor mail addresses given".

> I'm clueless as to why exim didn't deliver to eVote@??? in
> the first place. Then I guess its error message didn't find anywhere
> to go and ended up in the frozen messages. Why didn't receiver_verify
> simply refuse it in the first place?

What was the original recipient address?