Re: [Exim] Frozen messages - answers and questions

Author: Marilyn Davis
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Frozen messages - answers and questions
> > The other is a result of junk mail coming into my online petition
> > address. I simply can't figure out what is happening:
>
> I think I can. :-)

Thank you Philip!

> > the -Mvh gives:
> >
> > > 12m4dB-0008AF-00-H
> > > exim 402 400
> > > <>
>
> Apparent bounce message. There is no envelope sender (hence <>).
>
> > > invest600@???
>
> addressed to that address.
>
> > > A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
> > > recipients. The following address(es) failed:
> > >
> > >   evote@???:
> > >     generated |/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper fence eVote_script2 resend -l petitionj -h deliberate.com petitionj-outgoing

> > > The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:
> > >
> > > ------ |/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper fence eVote_script2 resend -l petitionj -h deliberate.com petitionj-outgoing ------
> > >
> > > exim: neither action flags nor mail addresses given
>
> What I think is happening is that your wrapper script is attempting to
> send a message to the sender of the incoming message, with the
> equivalent of a command line such as
>
> exim $sender_address
>
> but because there is no sender address, the command that is executed is
> just
>
> exim

I don't get it. The alias:

> > >     generated |/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper fence eVote_script2 resend -l petitionj -h deliberate.com petitionj-outgoing

works over and over. Send to eVote@??? and see! It seems
to me that it is the mail coming *into* this address that generated
the frozen message.

When I run the message in my debugger through "fence", fence indeed
ships it on to me for checking because it recognizes it as junk because
the address "eVote@???" is not explicitely on the To: or
Cc: lines. When I run it through "eVote_script2" it generates a
message to invest600@??? all right, but not this message. These
all call exim -t to get the headers into the message.

"wrapper" doesn't generate any messages, it is part of majordomo and
it switches the user and executes the rest of the command line, and that
is all.

> That is why it says "neither action flags nor mail addresses given".

But the message it is sending looks so exim-generated.

> > I'm clueless as to why exim didn't deliver to eVote@??? in
> > the first place. Then I guess its error message didn't find anywhere
> > to go and ended up in the frozen messages. Why didn't receiver_verify
> > simply refuse it in the first place?
>
> What was the original recipient address?

After my sig is the result of -Mvb and then -Mvh.

Thanks so much.

Marilyn Davis, Ph.D.
eVote - online polling software for email lists
http://www.deliberate.com
marilyn@???
+1 650 965-7121  (USA)

------ 12m4dB-0008AF-00 -Mvb