Re: [Exim] weird From: line with diacritics

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Petr Eech
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] weird From: line with diacritics
On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 10:11:48AM +0100 , Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Petr Eech wrote:
>
> > I've been looking for the cause of corupted From: line when sending mail from
> > my computer running exim. Instead of "Petr \v Cech" (TeX notation) i get
> > "Petr ?ech" which is ugly. I've trace this problem down to exim and
> > specificaly exim.c:2553 - it corectly gets the name from /etc/passwd, but
> > mangels it, unless print_topbitchars is set. That's a bug IMHO.
>
> Unfortunately, RFC 822 specifically states that all characters in header
> lines must be in ASCII, i.e. not have the top bit set. That is why Exim
> does this by default. Setting print_topbitchars was provided so that
> people who are happy to break the RFC rules can do so.

I thought it was only for 8bit logs and was not effecting other parts.

> Did you have print_topbitchars set on when you posted this message? The
> copy I received had the character with hex code C8.

yup.

> My personal view is that the 127-character restriction is ludicrious in
> this day and age. Sadly, it has not been removed in the revision of RFC
> 822 which is underway. After all, TCP/IP has always been an 8-bit
> transport mechanism. That is why Exim is 8-bit clean as far as
> transporting the data of a message goes. In fact, it won't touch
> existing header lines; all it does is to ensure that any header lines *it
> generates* conform to RFC 822.

by using '?'. ewww

> > 1) when it's not set, then the name with >127 chars gets mangled
> > 2) when it is set, than it sends the From: line unescaped. The To: line
> > gets escaped with mutt as "=?iso-8859-2?Q?Petr_=C8ech?=".
>
> Why isn't mutt setting up the From: line then? Exim creates one only if

It is generating one. Depends on the configuration it's either only
From: Petr Cech <cech>
which exim happily rewrites to using FQDN to cech@???.
If I specify complete header, then it's correctly escaped by mutt and exim
adds (if not disabled) the Sender:

> there is a missing one. I didn't expect this to be common - it really is
> the MUA's job to create the message's header.
>
> > The work-around is to set custom From: header, but then again exim adds
> > the Sender: header with (again) unescaped "Petr \v Cech".
>
> Run Exim 3.14. Set no_local_from_check. You will then get no Sender:

I though more on correctly escaping this 8bit chars instead of replacing them
with '?'. I'd like to have 8bit logs, but the outbound messages probably
according to the RFC should not

> > Could this be, at least, somewhere documented? There are surely many people
> > who have >127 in fullnames in passwd.
>
> Noted. It currently says, in section 46.14, "In all cases the user name
> is made to conform to RFC822 by quoting all or parts of it if

it's not quoting them, it's mangling them. That is, what I don't like.

> necessary." I will add what it does to top-bit characters.

                Petr Cech
P.S. If you think, that I don't like '?', you guesed well :)
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@???